Why Do Some Remote Jobs Require a Location?
For many people, one of the benefits of remote work is the ability to work from home, wherever that might be. However, what most people don’t realize is that about 95% of remote jobs often require a person to be based in a certain location. FlexJobs CEO Sara Sutton explains why.
Q: Why Do Some Remote Jobs Have a Location Required?
A: This is a question we get often because people tend to think of remote jobs as being the same as “work from anywhere” jobs.
Although these types of jobs are out there, the reality is that the majority of remote jobs our researchers (typically about 95%) find actually have geographic requirements to them, whether it’s a state, city, or even region of the country.
This can be for many reasons, from an employer’s comfort level of having remote workers, to state tax requirements.
Here are some statistics that demonstrate the many shades of grey of remote work:
Why do remote jobs often have location requirements? Here are seven of the most common reasons:
- Meetings: to be close in proximity to company offices for in-person meetings
- Clients: to be close to clients, especially in the case of sales and project management jobs
- Tax law: employment tax law requirements pertaining to their state or country
- Office work: the company requires employees to work from the office part-time or occasionally
- Certifications: the employer or job requires certifications that are location-specific
- Travel: the job is travel-heavy and the employer wants the employee to be close to travel destinations main transport hubs
- Time zone: the company might want the employee to live in a certain time zone
If you’re looking for a remote job and location is important to you, check out these ways of searching the FlexJobs database:
To recap, when you’re searching for remote work, be sure to check the location requirements of any job—they’re usually listed in the job description. And while they are sometimes negotiable, most of the time, employers have a pretty good reason for needing someone in that location. Best of luck in your search!
Updated March 19, 2019.
Photo Credit: bigstockphoto.com
Don’t forget to share this article with friends!